Friday 27 November 2009

Lurgy, cardboard and hats

I'm writing this from my metaphorical sickbed - which is actually a
sofa - as I have a nasty cold. At least, that's what I assume - as a
treat later I might let myself look on NHS Direct to see what other
horrendous illness I might have. Sometimes you have to be a
bit creative with the truth when it comes to symptoms, but I can
normally make it claim I have something dramatic-sounding. Anyway, for
my (possibly misdiagnosed) cold, I blame the people on the train
without masks. Lots of people wear them, I think mostly because
they're paranoid about swine flu, though there's a general consensus
that they're a Good Thing. (I nearly wrote 'a Good Thong' there, but
that's something altogether different) Someone must have sneezed over
me and infected me; I hope they're sorry. I might miss my trip to the
sake distillery tomorrow, which would make me really cross.

I was taken to task by Kinno-san, the lady who lives in room 101 (101
Wako Heights is an address with considerable comic potential, don't
you think?), regarding cardboard. Dad and I had left our cardboard to
be collected tomorrow under the sign that announced collection days
around the corner, but this was 'batsu', said Kinno. Now, I don't know
much Japanese yet, but the word for 'wrong' was one I memorised very
early on, as it crops up a lot in school... With much gesturing, Kinno
showed me the precise area of paving inside the gate where I was to
leave my cardboard, whence she would move it tomorrow. I don't quite
know why it will be her moving it - is it her job? Is she just a
kindly neighbour with a fondness for bins? I fear I may never find out.

On Thursday, I managed to elicit the famous Japanese expression of
surprise - the eyes widen, a long 'eeeeeh?' sound is made and, in
extreme cases, a slightly quivering finger is pointed at the shocking
object or situation in question - from all three of my teachers at
school. Admittedly, I was wearing a Christmas tree hat at the time,
but this is definitely not the first time that someone has worn a
comedy hat to class. Dad had brought a selection of Yuletide headwear
with him for us to use as costumes for our upcoming Christmas play
(which was slated to be 'Crimbo with Posh & Becks', though the hats
might trigger some revisions) and I couldn't resist taking them in
with me so we could try. them all on. Two of the teachers asked, in
quite an earnest voice, 'Is it a tradition in England to give hats at
Christmas time?' They looked a little disappointed when the others
said 'no, that's just Max's family.' I got the last laugh, though,
when I innocently slipped on my Aretha Franklin wig (you remember the
infamous Back to Nature bop costume?) halfway through the lesson...
One teacher doubled over the desk in laughter. I thought I looked
quite fetching.

No comments:

Post a Comment