Sunday 28 February 2010

Togari Onsen Snowboarding

I am as amazed as everyone else that I didn't break myself while snowboarding. I know, the words 'I' and 'snowboarding' are not an obvious combination... but I even managed to be described as a 'fast learner', which is the first and probably last time that phrase will be used about me with respect to sport of any kind. I managed the sideslip thing facing forwards, and tentatively tried it on toe side, facing into the hill. This is another of those times when it would be really good to have eyes in the back of my head, something I really want to develop. Going at about one mile an hour, I slipped into a Japanese girl while trying to slide backwards, and although we were both absolutely fine and I apologied profusely, she gave me a filthy look, which rather put me off doing any more sliding backwards down the slope.

There are two things I would change for next time. Unsurprisingly, number one would be to spend more money and get the bullet train rather than the slow overnight coach. This could have been worse - it didn't match the horror of Alsina Graells' Sevilla to Murcia extravaganza, stopping at every small town en route - but it was Not Fun with capital letters nonetheless. Number two would be to invest in some sort of joint protection. I caught the edge of the board a couple of times and sat down (actually, that sounds like I had a choice: I fell) abruptly, which bruised my coccyx. It still aches a little a week later, so a 'tailbone pad' (sounds very dodgy) would be useful equipment if I were to try again, which I might. I looked on the internet and was bamboozled by the sheer range of products in this vein - as a non-sportsman, I had never before been exposed to the variety of things involving foam, lycra and plastic. Originally I thought I would get a set of three hip and tailbone pads, but then I realised they needed a 'girdle' (which didn't look like what I imagined that to be, more like a pair of cycling shorts with pockets) to sit in, and I think that might be a bit extreme for me... Likewise the dedicated ski/snowboard protector shorts things, which are ideal but cost more money than I want to spend, having been on a piste twice in my life. The compromise option might be a mouldable piece of foam used by figure skaters, which you tuck into thermalwear and which cushions you if (or when, for me) you fall. It looks remarkably low-tech but perhaps it's just what I need.

There was also an excellent onsen (natural hot spring), which had both an inside bath and, excitingly, a really nice outdoor one. There are few things better than soaking aching limbs in a very hot bath while it's freezing cold outside. I think the topic of onsens and Japanese bathing is worthy of more expansive explanation, but that will have to wait for another post...

No comments:

Post a Comment